Friday, November 02, 2007

Hotspots using Trustive from Ibiza to Edinburgh via Barcelona

Hotspots using Trustive from Ibiza to Edinburgh via Barcelona

One of the mixed blessings of writing about technology is that I get to try the latest products including at the moment an “all you can eat” wi-fi hotspot service from Trustive. Getting to play with this stuff sounds fun, but it drives my wife nuts and it’s not always too much fun for me either.

As I write this I’m on my way back to Ibiza from Edinburgh, a trip which in this case involves a four-hour stopover in Barcelona. My plan was to do some work courtesy of the Trustive wi-fi hotspot freebie from “Trustive”. The service allows you to log into thousands of hotspots worldwide. Well that’s the theory.

Trustive’s free Hotspotter software can find eight wi-fi networks from the cafĂ© where I’m sitting at the moment. Unfortunately I can’t log into any of them, at least not without paying. The frustrating thing is that according to the advertisement showing on Hotspotter there is a service in Barcelona airport which I can use. Unfortunately I’ve no idea which one.

I can also look for hotspots offline using a directory on Hotspotter. If I do that it tells me there’s no service in the airport. I guess the directory must be right and the advertisement’s wrong, although both are provided by Trustive. But there’s an added frustration to this.

My plan when I was in Edinburgh was to use some of the numerous hotspots in the city to keep up with work, emails and Facebook. First problem: finding anywhere with a Trustive-linked hotspot open on a Sunday evening in Scotland’s capital city, at least anywhere conducive to working. Second problem: logging on.

I eventually found a branch of the trendy All Bar One pub chain in the business district which was both quiet and open. Logging on was rather more of a problem. Hotspotter could find the network, but I couldn’t get in, even though log-in was supposed to be automatic. Vista on my laptop could find the network and give me a log-on option. But although I’d entered the information into my Hotspotter software, I didn’t have the details available except in my Gmail account. I had to get online to retrieve them.

In the end I paid to get online to get the details. It was the only way to get my user name and password. They worked. But my success was short-lived. My log-on lasted no longer than ten minutes before I was thrown offline. Two hours in the pub was worth half an hour in an office, in terms of achievement. I even stayed sober.

The following day I made my next attempt. After half an hour I worked out that the problem was Vista and Hotpotter overlapping. Logging on and just using Vista worked fine. Trouble is the only way of finding if a network is available is using Hotspotter. And that leaves me sitting here disconnected in Barcelona. (And this was uploaded to my blog 24 hours later.)

No comments: