Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Lousy service from Littlewoods Europe

Skyways House in the Speke area of Liverpool, ...Image via Wikipedia

It's now a day since I started my social media campaign to get a real response from Littlewoods Europe. It isn't easy.

Eight days ago I received an automated response warning me I'd have to allow "up to 48 hours" for them to get back to me. Maths was never my core competency but I'm pretty sure that there are more than 48 hours in eight days.

I certainly don't blame the staff. Earlier this year Shop Direct, the parent company of Littlewoods Europe, closed its call centre in Liverpool making all the staff redundant. Clearly the company sees communicating with customers is a waste of money.

Anyway, today I've flagged up my blog entry with a few Tweets mentioning Littlewoods Europe in negative terms. I've also started putting negative responses on the appropriate parts of its website. I'll keep on with that.

The idea eventually is to get some sort of article out of this fiasco. In the past I would perhaps have used my position as a journalist to approach Littlewoods' PR company and get them to kick the appropriate people up the backside.

This time I'm only going to use the online tools available to anybody who has been badly treated by a company. Unfortunately so far they don't seem to be having any effect.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

3 comments:

Graeme Anthony said...

Here's a little tip for you Nick, if you google 'Littlewoods Europe' or search for them on YouTube, you'll notice they don't have any broadcast coverage. So there's your opportunity, record a short clip of your experiences, upload to YouTube and tag referencing Littlewoods Europe.

If all goes to plan, your video should start being picked up by Google search, warning people of their shoddy service and more importantly, assuming they have a relatively intelligent customer service team, flag up your complaint.

Should hopefully do the trick! Be good to hear how you get on.

Cheers,
G

Pete said...

I understand that Littlewoods Europe have sorted out your problem. An email that I received:

"As we are a new business we have naturally had a few issues, which we are addressing and in the process of dealing with. We accept that we have had particular problems with the Balearic Islands. We are working hard with our couriers (TNT) to iron out the early problems we have had. We have also contacted Mr Clayton (the journalist who wrote the blog) and sorted out his delivery. Please note that although we have had some issues we have equally had 1000s of successful deliveries and happy customers."

Nick Clayton said...

Unfortunately the saga continues. Part of my order has come, my computer chair. But as of today, 25 January, the coat and dress ordered for my wife are somewhere between Barcelona and Ibiza, or so I'm told via a member of the Littlewoods Europe marketing team on Facebook.

I do know that many companies have problems with deliveries in Spain, especially away from the cities. What hacked me off with Littlewoods Europe was the email about six weeks after the initial order when I was told effectively: "Sorry, lost your order. You'll get your money back." This was after I'd put off for weeks getting a replacement office chair and a winter coat for my wife.

I should say that I haven't taken advantage of my position as a journalist. I waited a long time before I published anything and then it was on Facebook, Twitter and a blog, all of which are open to anybody to use. It's just a shame that it was necessary at all.